Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Its all about control


Something interesting struck me about J and all his "issues". He will indeed bring the whole place down around him at the mere mention of a hoover or anything electrical. I always assumed that it hurt his ears. If so why is it when he tales control of a situation he can tolerate almost anything.
E.g. The little drill from his play doh set. If I was to produce it let alone switch it on, he would be hysterical, inconsolable but he i now in at the kitchen table happily drilling away. If any of us pick it up, all hell breaks loose. He will run from the room screaming with his hands over his ears....sometimes even cowering.

Is it a control issue?? Can somebody explain this one to me? Is it the first step to battling his demons and dealing with the loud craziness that is our world. Sound effects J so much and I would do anything to help him........but how to do it????? Anyone??

8 comments:

  1. Our OT always advises us to take a slow approach with desensitisation.
    For example, Bob was terrfified of the hair clippers and would also run like the wind anytime it was produced.
    Our OT told us to leave it in a visible place (unplugged) and to completely ignore it.
    After a few days, allow our son to see you handle it (still switched off) but not to approach him with it.
    Next step was to switch it on for a few seconds while he was in the room, but again to ignore the child.
    After a few weeks I was able to cut my husband's hair and he would watch...from a safe distance!
    Now,months later, we can cut his hair. It's still a two-man job, but it's not such a trauma anymore.
    It's been a really slow process, but it seems to work . hope this helps a little XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeez that sounds so like J. Exactly the same about hair clippers, hair dryer, food blender...etc etc.

    I have done that with the hoover but each time i have to turn it on i give him time to decide what he wants to do. He usually flees 100mph into his room slamming the door shut and after the hoovering is done he will repeat for hours...."are you finished mom....are you finished mom". He gets so so stressed

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have taken to getting HRH out of the house in order to do the hoovering!! Not sure I can be much help. Like Jeans slow approach as we have the hair clippers issue too. Also the electric shower, all the usual ones I suppose:) Will def be talking to OT about this and will pass on any nuggets, like Jean did:) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. all nuggets eagerly awaited ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya missus! I have a control freak in this house too lol. I have found though that if I give a warning that the noise is coming, she has the option like J to scarper from the room but has started to stay around and watch from a safe distance now we have the new hoover as Hetty has two settings and she doesn't mind the lower setting :) The fact that she adores Hetty when she's not working is a big bonus too lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. very good, well i didnt have a hoover for years because of J. i must have gone through I dont know how many sweeping brushes. No carpets which worked out. It all got too much and I made a plan. He was going to come with me to pick one out. It did help. He got a bit too enthusiastic about the hoover talking about it for days to everyone but lo and behold.....PETRIFIED of the thing. I think its more the thought of it than what it does.......sigh....lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just caught up with your 2 recent posts! Thanks for sharing. My you've been busy!
    So glad your guy settling in to his unit.

    I've no advice with the sensory issues but you've got some great advice from the girls!

    I just wonder though if it is about control?? Is it I wonder, because when he has the drill he KNOWS AND EXPECTS the noise but you, for example, might turn on the hoover or press the drill (he might see you do it but not feel the button being pressed)unexpectantly??? Just another angle to consider maybe.

    Keep blogging! xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  8. so interesting thoe, i dont know the answer but control would spring to mind. really is one to make you think xx

    ReplyDelete